Sunday, May 17, 2009

now I see True colors

It's sunday morning and I'm watching 'Private Sessions' on A&E, which is usually a band or musical artist doing a sitdown interview and singing some of their work. In the past I've seen Stevie Nicks, Heart and today is Cyndi Lauper. I'm a kid who grew up in the 80s and to be honest, I wasn't a huge Lauper fan. I think she was a little too out there for me, even then. Surprisingly, I now have a new found respect for her. This doesn't surprise me because in those formative years, I really had crap musical taste..I listened to the rest of the crap my friends listened to because it was the thing to do,lip-synched or not. I loved Prince (still do), but I now appreciate how crazy-talented he is and not just some skinny guy with an unhealthy attachment to purple and some cool songs. I think this new found respect for Cyndi comes from her honesty and ability to just say 'feck it', this is who I am. She says she failed at everything, including an attempt to be an iHop waitress. (sidebar) I sympathize there as I know I'd be a lousy waitress,  but not because I'd confuse fried chicken and chicken pot pie as she did repeatedly, but because I'm not a 'customer oriented' person. The girl is not especially bright, tactful, or cute, and even had rocks thrown at her at first, but she's found her thing and she strived with a great voice and determination to be successful at something .I always like a freak, but only if their true to themselves and not just following some mold. 

No comments:

Post a Comment